West Liguria: the Italian Riviera of Flowers
When we say “Riviera dei Fiori” in Italy, we mean the area of the West Liguria Riviera (from Genoa … to France).
A wonderful succession of villages interspersed with the lush green of nature.
The “Riviera dei Fiori” is in fact the last patch of western Liguria near France, well-known for its rather temperate climate.
Three main provinces:
Genoa the capital of its province and Liguria.
Located on the Golfo of Genova in the Ligurian Sea, Genova has historically been one of the most important ports on the Mediterranean and it was one of Italy’s two largest maritime republics (together with Venice) that enjoyed enormous power and prestige as early as the Middle Ages.
For this reason Genova has been called la Superba (“the proud one”) by Petrarca due to its glorious past and impressive landmarks.
Today Genova is one of the most fascinating Italian cities.
Part of the old town of the city was inscribed on the World Heritage List (UNESCO) in 2006 as Genova: Le Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli and its richness in culture, history, art, music and cuisine allowed it to become the 2004 European Capital of Culture.
The city is a succession of enchanting walks along the coast and steep creuze (small brick roads), which climb up the hills and descend vertiginously to dive into the sea while the historic center develops in an intricate maze of alleys (caruggi) that open unexpectedly in small squares.
It’s a succession of precious treasures, corners of peace and beauty and an incredible mix of different tastes, colors, scents and cultures.
Between Genoa and Imperia, there is the province of Savona also called the Riviera delle Palme.
The Riviera delle Palme includes the entire Province of Savona, from Varazze and Spotorno
For over 932 square kilometers of coast, mountains and inland valleys. Here the inhabitants live a reality of the sea, green pines and olive trees.
- Finale Ligure is part of the most beautiful villages in Italy (I Borghi più belli d’Italia). It is made up of three urban centers: Finale Marina, with its splendid promenade and alleyways (winding streets and side streets), elegant shops and lively cafés; Finalpia (or Finale Pia) and a little further inland, Finalborgo.
- Pietra Ligure, on the other hand, is a small seaside town surrounded by beautiful hills and vegetation, as well as by large beaches with hospitable accommodation and holiday resorts. It is an important tourist destination, mainly for those who come from the big cities of northern Italy.
- Albenga one of the most important cities of the Riviera di Ponente with art, history and fun; but to explore the sea and its seabed we recommend an excursion to the Gallinara Island, (Regional Nature Reserve since 1989).
- Finally, do not forget Alassio, famous for its Muretto (wall) with the autographs of all the celebrities who have chosen to stay here; Il Muretto also lends its name to a local beauty contest that takes place every summer.
Imperia is a coastal city. It is the capital of the Imperia province and in the earlier times it had been the capital of the ancient district of Intemelia.
The city is well known for its cultivation of olives and flowers.
The city is famous not only for its food industries but also for tourism.
Oneglia and Porto Maurizio are the main cities from which Imperia born.
The pretty, touristic side of the city is best seen around Porto Maurizio whilst Oneglia is more devoted to the production of olives and flowers.
If you approach Imperia from the west, the road following the coastline suddenly opens up to a beautiful view of a large, beautiful bay of shimmering blue water surrounded by majestic hills covered with the colorful orange buildings of the city.
Sanremo is It is one of the agricultural commodities in western Liguria and in particular within the Province of Imperia.
Sanremo is the “city of flowers” for excellence. Famous for its annual Italian Song Festival and for its Casino.
Sanremo is an extremely suggestive city.
It’s not simply the city of the famous Italian Song Festival, but it’s one of the most fascinating villages in the region.
La Pigna, the ancient historic center of Sanremo retains the charm of a medieval village and acts as a counterweight to the newer part of the city with the famous Casino.
A walk in La Pigna allows the most attentive tourist to discover an unpublished San Remo, made of winding alleys and stairways, arches and buttresses, secluded and silent squares.
The final Ponente Riviera municipality before the French side, is Ventimiglia. Don’t lost to visit its historic center conserves unique art treasures.
Just few chilometers to the glamorous Monte Carlo (France).
Need some inspiration for your next travel project? Choose ELT!
Whatever your ideals of a journey, just focus on the emotions you want to live.
We’ll take care of the rest.
- unconventional itineraries,
- thematic tours,
- charming accommodations,
- local flavors with the authentic taste
Our tailor-made services allow you to relax and have an exclusive luxury vacation.
ELT offers solutions for any travel need: leisure, business or blesiure tourism!
Contact Elite Luxury Tours
- Commercial: +39 3474182988
- Operations: +39 3472239086
Leave a Comments